As Thuley mentioned, we're going to be moving Ehmry.com to a new hosting service. This will involve some downtime and a DNS switch.
For transparency's sake, here's what I'll be doing:
- Set up new host with mirror of files and DB from current host (already done).
- Schedule downtime and inform users (doing that now).
- When the time comes to make the final switch, turn the forum software "off," leaving a public message.
- Back up files and database again, transfer and restore on new host.
- Turn forums back "on" on new host.
- Change DNS to point at new host.
- Wait for DNS switch to propagate.
From the outside (i.e. for all of you), the process will look like this:
- Server will go "offline" (forums will be replaced with a note, login will be disabled).
- Once DNS changes have propagated, server will reappear as "online" and normal use can resume.
This Sunday evening (PST) is the best time for us to make the necessary changes. I will take the forums offline at ~5pm PST on Sunday, November 20th. They should come back up on the new host within 2-3 hours, but I'm going to call it 5 hours just to be safe.
The forums will be down from 5pm to 10pm PST on Sunday, November 20th.
If you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please bring them up here.
- Fair Winds (thetoothpick)